Sunday, August 12, 2012

"Calle El Conde": Part Two

Sketching isn't everyone's "cup of tea."  Many of the "finer" artists view it as something below their level of expertise; but the more I do, the more I watch, listen, discuss, think, compare and contrast, and research it, the more it pulls on me.

When I first started messing about with art I tried to create watercolors that were as close to the "real thing" as possible ("fine art?".

It has taken me about ten years to realize that the thing that brings life and energy to a drawing is not the inherent accuracy of the thing being drawn, but rather the emotion and expression of the lines and the colors applied.

This is the "Calle El Conde," a sweet, upscale, vehicle-less boulevard in Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic.

The drawing feels like the one that is taking me into a whole new place with my art. Thanks to Urban Sketchers in general and Veronica Lawlor in particular for the journey.

2 comments:

  1. Well said,Jim! and thank you for bringing Urban Sketching to the Tri-Cities!!!
    I like the liveliness of the lines,and LOVE the sky and street lights;I think they really give this sketch life!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've said it before - I think this is my favorite sketch ever of yours!

    ReplyDelete