Friday, June 15, 2012

"Red Mountain"

Nancy Thurston and I met at the artspace this morning at 9am and promptly decided not to go to Walla Walla.  It's a two hour drive pretty much both ways, and while there are gorgeous vistas, landscapes, architecture and people there to sketch, we figured we have most of those things right here in the TriCity area.  So we went out to Red Mountain, one of the most highly regarded terriors in the nation. 

My first contribution is this, looking along this line of posts and supports, down at the far trees and Mt. Adams in the far distance.  I know the sky is lighter toward the horizon line, but I like the contrast that a dark clouded sky brings to a scene.  So there. 

 


The one below was the most fun of the two because Nancy loaned me a big ol' brush to work with.  The first thing I did was use a pencil to sketch in where, in general, the poles, vines, and hills in the far distance would be located; then I splashed the paint on and once dried, added the pen lines.  I gotta start carrying one of my large brushes along on these sketchouts.


We decided we're going back.  Next time to Hedges Winery where a low, after-dinner-hour, sun will provide some amazing lighting.  Watch for the announcement for time and place here and on our FB page.

No comments:

Post a Comment