Sunday, October 7, 2012

"Pawn Shop on Columba Avenue, Kennewick"

 
This is exactly what I had in mind when I drove down to the old Avenue C in Kennewick this morning: this old building's storefront.  I don't know the age of the building, but it has that orginal look of early 1900's with that structure up above the signage (can you picture a hitching post out front?).   The avenue was one once heavily frequented by high school kids back in the 60's as their favorite hang-out is just off to the right, on this side of the street: "Zip's". 

I like old storefronts and have had a difficult time finding any that are suitable for sketching.  Most of our storefronts are too modern in appearance, or just plain and without character.  This may be the best one in the tri-cities. 

Had a ton of fun drawing it.  Sunday mornings are real quiet and I had the parking area across the street all to my self.  Oh, and since it was Sunday the shop was closed.  I had to make up some things to put out front, including an Open sign. 

2 comments:

  1. I really like how you are using just punches of color instead of coloring in the whole thing. Your drawing is getting a lot more expressive and loose as well - tho I'm not sure that is your goal... Wouldn't it be fun to see your house drawn like this?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. fantastic pics!!!! really outlying impact, adore the outfit so chic and beautiful!!!

    ReplyDelete