Friday, July 4, 2014

"This Week"


I have long wanted to sketch the Pike Street Market and got the chance last Saturday when attending a sketching workshop in Seattle. Frank Ching said to "sketch something with the big sign in it."  I walked to the corner and standing in both a large crowd of people coming and going across the intersection, and a threatening rain, sketched my sketch.  I like we didn't have but 15 or 20 minutes to do the sketch as that lends quickness, expressiveness, and energy to the sketch.



Following in the footsteps of hurry-up-and-get-it-done, I found myself at this intersection in Prosser, WA today, the 4th of July, with my family.  We were there to celebrate the 4th as we have such warm memories of their celebrations when we lived there in the 60's, 70's and 80's.  A real flop today with nothing more than a Car Show in the park.  Phil's Corner Drug is long gone now.  Phil had a real soda fountain in there, one of the few I ever remember seeing.  It's a Mexican restaurant now.  No soda fountain.


1 comment:

  1. Pike Place Market has so much a buz going on even in the rain. In contrast, a sunny day in Prosser and just a few folks and 3 birds. Your sketches show so much and your depth of people, great! I tried to comment earlier but I only was limited to my phone. I sketched a USA flag on the 4th while enjoying a latte in Moscow, Idaho. See you on Wednesday for Urban Sketch. Patti Kirch

    ReplyDelete