Wednesday, July 8, 2015

"Columbia Center Mall"



The USkTC group met this morning at the Columbia Center Mall food court at 10am.

I have been interested in trying to capture these vaulted ceilings for a long time, so today was my opportunity.

Using my oldest sketchbook (literally, it is 112 years old) for the task, I found a nice location from which to draw (one where I could also plug in my phone), and got started.

At 11:05 it was 95% completed, so I returned to the food court and met up with the rest of the sketchers (six of them) and finished it off.

I used a pencil to get it started, then added the ink. Dark spots are intended to push the background back and bring the middle ground forward. The darks in the foreground to emphasize different color schemes and contrasts.  This was a fun one.

2 comments:

  1. I really like this approach. Love the perspective as always with the great values and pop of color. I would say you went to another level with this one Jim. Also love the old ledger sketch book! Really nice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Cindy. Always nice to get feedback and this is particularly nice.

      Delete